"Go to the sign of Marvel's Axe, a dubious inn on the edge of the Thieves Quarter, in the City of Greyhawk, and look to your own wrist. If you perceive a bracelet and dangling dice, watch for the next throw in the war between Law and Chaos and be prepared to follow the compelling geas." -Signal

Friday, January 6, 2012

Pirates of the Fallen Stars, Quantify

I hate that I am not going to be able to do this book the justice it most likely deserves. This is one of the books I have purchased along the way and have not had a chance to fully read it or even give it a good once over. I have skimmed it and what I saw looked good.

I have always been a fan of pirates so when I saw this book I had to have it. I have number of piles of things I had to have and have never gotten to yet so this is a common for me. even though this was released after the two books I reviewed this one was bought first...and real last so go figure.

The only drawback for me is that this is a Forgotten Realms specific book. The book is full of tings that I will at some point borrow for a campaign of my own design but it is at it's core full of setting specific information. I would most likely not be blathering on about this being a negative is it was Sea Princes specific but that is me.

A good section of the book is generic enough though to make it of use for the DM who wants to use it outside the Realms setting. If you are a Realms DM then the book is hitting on all cylinders for you. The chapters of the book are be;ow:

Introduction: A Pirate's Life oft Me
Chapter 1 - To Be a Pirate
Chapter 2 - Generating Pirate Characters
Chapter 3 - Nations of the Inner Se
Chapter 4 - The Pirate Isles
Chapter 5 - The Rogues' Gallery
Chapter 6 - Ships of the Inner Sea
Chapter 7 - Movement and Combat
Chapter 8 - Raid on Teziir
Pirate-Speak

I can't say this with 100% certainty but I feel secure enough based on what I have read and seen to recommend the book. It is about pirates after all so how bad can it be. There may be other third party products that cover the topic without a setting overhead so it may not be the best but it should be worth picking up.

Published: 1992
Pages: 128

From the back cover:

"Aye, fightin' ship to ship is a great thing. Makes ya feel like a real pirate, aimin' ballistas and catapults and such at the enemy, blastin' great holes in her hull, watchin' 'em flee like rats..." Jomo Shanbaeren's eyes glaze over with memories, and for a moment he looks like a young man again as he relives his glory days. "And boardin'! That's the thrill - leapin' from yer own gunwales onto the enemy's deck, cutlass flashin', givin' 'em the ol' hook-and-eye - " the retired pirate slashes at an invisible opponent with the iron hook that takes the place of his right hand - "drivin' 'em back to the rails! Let me tell yer about the time we took on Teldar and the Kissing Maiden..."

Pirates of the Fallen Stars reveals for the first time the details about the Pirate Isles, in the center of the Inner Sea. Here are facts about their societies, their interactions with the Inner Sea nations, their pirate kings, their ships, their style of combat; in fact, here is everything any DM or player needs to know to enjoy a campaign in the Sea of Fallen Stars and its environs.



Spell:

Quantify


Level: Zero/Cantrip
Range: None
Duration: One Round/Level
Area of Effect: Caster
Components: V,S
Casting Time: One Segment
Saving Throw: None

This spell will grant the magic user a savant level ability to count any items that they view. They will instantly know the number of items of a given type that they view.

This ability will allow them to count items based on any criteria they specify. The will immediately know the number of coins in a pile of treasure broken down by type. If desired they can decide to know the overall count or break it down using any criteria they can come up with.

Disclaimer: The spells that you will see, for how ever long the write ups last, were all written up or conceived of back in the 80's so the terminology may not appropriate for anything other than 1e and depending on how well I did back then it may be slightly off for that as well. If there is any duplication of spells that exist now it is most likely I wrote mine first :) Please feel free to comment on them but try not to be too hard on me. If anyone wishes to use these in anything they print please let me know in advance and all I ask is proper credit.

No comments:

Popular Posts