"Go to the sign of Marvel's Axe, a dubious inn on the edge of the Thieves Quarter, in the City of Greyhawk, and look to your own wrist. If you perceive a bracelet and dangling dice, watch for the next throw in the war between Law and Chaos and be prepared to follow the compelling geas." -Signal

Thursday, December 29, 2011

Player Character Record Sheets, Wild Magic 4


If anyone is wondering I am now going through the scanned  inventory of my items in the order they appear based on name. I  often got a little creative in the naming structure so there is  no telling what might pop up.

Today is another set of character sheets. This is actually the  first version of the AD&D Player Character Record Sheet. It would  later earn the code REF2 and I think I have written about it. I  know I have written about it under a different cover. I prefer  that cover to this one. I am normally an Erol Otus fan but for  some reason this one bothers me. It strikes a cord like the cover  for Alma Mater which is a little on the creepy side.

These are my third, or tied for second favorite, sheets of all  time. I am a fan of the Judges Guild Character Codex sheets. I  still need to post a picture of the ones I like the best. They  were a Home-brew made by my first Dungeon Master who taught Math &  History at my high school. Looking back on the sheet a month or  two ago, maybe longer he was a little to adult when they made the  sheets but all in good time.

These sheets in my opinion have all the information a player  needs laid out in an easily accessible and fluid manner. In  addition the sheets are broken down by class so as to not clutter  up each sheet with information that is not needed. I might have  liked to see the Multi-Classed / Bard sheet broken down further  by combinations but that is just me.

As I have said before you don't need character sheets as it can  all be done on a plain piece of paper but a unified record  keeping layout is nice for the DM. This would be one of the few I  would return to if I was playing first edition AD&D again. I  would also use it as a model if I were ever designing my own (for  the record I did this one time and went the all in one route and  it was six pages long) again.


Published: 1981
Pages: 32

User Summary:

Contains character record sheets for use with Advanced Dungeons &  Dragons (1st edition). Each sheet is perforated at the fold and  is printed on goldenrod paper. The sheets come in 5 different  types, each tailored for certain classes.

Included sheets are:
Fighter Ranger Paladin x5
Cleric Druid x3
Magic-user Illusionist x3
Thief Assassin Monk x2
Multi-classed Bard x3



Spell:

Wild Magic 4


Level: Fifth
Range: Special
Duration: Special
Area of Effect: Special
Components: Special
Casting Time: Special
Saving Throw: Special

With the casting of this spell the magic user is able to simulate  the casting of any fourth or lower level spell. The spell will  work best if it is a spell that the caster knows though this is  not a requirement.

When this spell is used the caster will be able to use any fourth  or lower level magic spell even it is is not one that they  memorized or even know. If they have it in their spellbook the  spell will go off without problem.

Spells that are not in their spellbook will be trickier. If they  have seen the spell cast there is a 50/50 chance that it will  work. If the spell fails then there is another 50/50 chance of  things happening. It is possible that the spell will just out and  out fail. The other is that it works but in reverse and in a  negative way for the caster, possibly even affecting them.

The caster can even use this to try and create some new magical  effect. The DM may choose not to allow this. If they do then they  will need to impose strict limits on its use.

Disclaimer: The spells that you will see, for how ever long the  write ups last, were all written up or conceived of back in the  80's so the terminology may not appropriate for anything other  than 1e and depending on how well I did back then it may be  slightly off for that as well. If there is any duplication of  spells that exist now it is most likely I wrote mine first :)  Please feel free to comment on them but try not to be too hard on  me. If anyone wishes to use these in anything they print please  let me know in advance and all I ask is proper credit.

No comments:

Popular Posts