"Go to the sign of Marvel's Axe, a dubious inn on the edge of the Thieves Quarter, in the City of Greyhawk, and look to your own wrist. If you perceive a bracelet and dangling dice, watch for the next throw in the war between Law and Chaos and be prepared to follow the compelling geas." -Signal

Saturday, December 24, 2011

I1 Dwellers of the Forbidden City, Wild Magic


Dwellers of the Forbidden city is ranked among the top 30 adventures of all time by Dungeon magazine. I would have to say that they got it right. This is still one of the most memorable adventures I recall being run it. Of course I was able to play this one and not run it so that helps.

As a collector I really am glad I own this. I still find the map of the city one of the best maps I recall seeing in a module. The fact that this started as a tournament module and yet still allows for more than a hack and slash adventure speaks to the adaptation of the module.

There have been some bad reviews of the module written. I guess I should temper that and call them lacklaster reviews. I find this surprising but it may be that age has allowed it to be seen for what it really is. If you have not run or been run through this module I suggest you find a way to make it happen.

For more of a review (busy time right now) please check out rpggeek.com here .


Published 1981
Pages 28

From the cover:

"Somewhere in the heart of the steaming jungle lies the answer to the whispered tales - rumors of a magnificent city and foul, horrid rituals! Here a brave party might find riches and wonders - or death! Is your party brave enough to face the terrors of the unknown and find - the Forbidden City!

Parts of this module were used in 1980 for a major East Coast convention tournament. Information is presented here to reconstruct this exciting tournament and even more has been given to expand play. Here characters may adventure several times in a unique and interesting mini-campaign. Included in this module are background and tournament notes, referee's keys, new monsters, pre-generated characters, and eight different maps."


Spell:

Wild Magic

Level: Second
Range: Special
Duration: Special
Area of Effect: Special
Components: Special
Casting Time: Special
Saving Throw: Special

With the casting of this spell the magic user is able to simulate the casting of any first level spell. The spell will work best if it is a spell that the caster knows though this is not a requirement.

When this spell is used the caster will be able to use any first level magic spell even it is is not one that they memorized or even know. If they have it in their spellbook the spell will go off without problem.

Spells that are not in their spellbook will be trickier. If they have seen the spell cast there is a 50/50 chance that it will work. If the spell fails then there is another 50/50 chance of things happening. It is possible that the spell will just out and out fail. The other is that it works but in reverse and in a negative way for the caster, possibly even affecting them.

The caster can even use this to try and create some new magical effect. The DM may choose not to allow this. If they do then they will need to impose strict limits on its use.

Disclaimer: The spells that you will see, for how ever long the write ups last, were all written up or conceived of back in the 80's so the terminology may not appropriate for anything other than 1e and depending on how well I did back then it may be slightly off for that as well. If there is any duplication of spells that exist now it is most likely I wrote mine first :) Please feel free to comment on them but try not to be too hard on me. If anyone wishes to use these in anything they print please let me know in advance and all I ask is proper credit.

3 comments:

Dennis Laffey said...

I've really been wanting to run this module for a while. My plan was to slip it into the Isle of Dread, but so far I haven't had the opportunity.

Word Verification: iruste, lost Shakespeare sonnet about the rust monster

Jason Carney said...

My gaming mentor ran us through this. I was 12 years old and annoying and died twice. It was great!

soniachtan said...

I love this magazine. he adventure magazines are my favorite. I am glad to see this module.Kalka to Shimla

Popular Posts